Located approximately 35 kilometres to the north of Dublin, Balbriggan’s quaint coastal atmosphere has helped transform this community into a popular tourist destination. The origins of this town’s name can be traced back to “Baile Bricen”, which means “small trout”, or Baile Brigin, which is translated as “Town of the Small Hills”.
Balbriggan experienced tremendous growth during the 18th and 19th centuries, largely due to the efforts of prominent landowners in the region. During this time, notable landmarks, such as Balbriggan Harbour and St. George’s Church of Ireland were built.
Prominent points of interest in this community include Bremore Castle, Ardgillen Castle and Demesne, and the Railway Viaduct, which was constructed in 1844 as an integral component of the Dublin to Drogheda rail service. Additionally, the Dublin-Belfast train passes directly through the town center of this community.
Thanks to its close proximity to the M1 motorway, it is quite easy to access Balbriggan, which could, perhaps, explain the recent influx of migrants.